Overnight Oats: A quick-fix breakfast, that will fill you up and keep you cool, since there is no cooking in this oatmeal recipe!
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup milk (almond, skim, hemp, soy, etc)
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of stevia or a drizzle of honey (if you like a little extra sweetness like we do)
- flaxseed meal
- strawberries, sliced
- peaches, sliced
- dried fruits
- almonds, cashews, walnuts, chia seeds, trail mix
- nut butter (almond, peanut, cashew)
- The night before, combine the ingredients (not the toppings though) in a bowl, stir, then cover with plastic wrap (or whatever you prefer) and place in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, remove the plastic wrap and stir the ingredients again. You will notice the texture is very creamy, doughy, and thick. The oats absorb the liquid and become fluffy almost.
- Add your favorite toppings.
- You can make this breakfast as big or as little as you would like, meaning you could go 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup yogurt, 1/2 cup milk, or if you would like it to be a smaller meal, you could scale it down to 1/4 cup of each instead.
- If you would like to make it vegan, just omit the yogurt and add twice as much milk (a non-daily form like almond, soy, hemp).
- You could add any of the above fruit into the overnight mixture, instead of a topping, for more of an infused flavor.
- You could add other mix-ins to the overnight mixture, like cocoa, pumpkin puree, chia seeds…