- Sesame oil : 3 tbsp
- Vegetable oil : 2 tbsp
- Fenugree k Seeds : 1/4 tsp
- Vadagam: 11/2 tbsp (Optional)
- Fish : 1lb(Cleaned and cut it into your desired shape)(I’ve used salmon)
- Onion : 1 (Medium Finally chopped)f
- Tomatoes : 2
- Garlic : 8-10
- Curry Leaves : 5-6 springs
- Chili powder : 1/2 tbsp(according to your spice level)
- Coriander Powder : 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
- Tamarind Pulp : 11/2 tbsp
- Wash and clean the fish. Cut them into pieces. Dust them with a little salt and keep them aside.
- Now just microwave the tamarind pulp with 1 cup of water for 30 seconds or soak them for an 5-10minutes. Mash it well and strain the tamarind water.
- Now add red chili powder, salt, coriander powder and turmeric powder into the tamarind water.
- Mix it all together in this step itself. You can taste and adjust the sour and spicy consistency from the above mixture.
- Now take a wide pan add 2 tbsp of vegetable oil add fenugreek seeds, vadagam(optional), garlic pods, fry them for a minute.
- After that add onions, curry leaves sautee it very well.
- Once the onion becomes translucent add the chopped tomatoes and the tamarind water mixture into it.
- Taste the salt and adjust according to it.
- Add 2 tbsp of sesame oil and bring it to boil in medium heat till the oil floats on top.
- The gravy should taste little sour and spicy.
- Finally add the fish and just bring it to a boil only once and remove from heat.
- Garnish with fried curry leaves.
Fish kozhambhu is ready and if you eat it next day it tastes like heaven because the fish get soaked in the gravy.