- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 of a green pepper, thinly sliced
- 4-6 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- salt, pepper for seasoning
- 1 and 1/4 pounds top sirloin steak
- 1-2 tablespoons canola oil or vegetable oil
- 4 soft hoagie
- rolls 8 White american cheese slices or 8 pepper-jack cheese slices
- Mayo or chipotle mayo
Chipotle Mayo Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon sauce from the adobo pepper can
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Dash of salt Dash of pepper
- hour before cooking, place steak in the freezer.
- When you’re ready to start cooking, pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook veggies until tender.
- While the veggies are cooking, remove the steak from the freezer and use a very sharp knife to slice the meat as thinly as possible against the grain.
- When the veggies are done cooking, heat 1 tablespoon canola oil over medium high heat.
- Place 4 hoagie rolls in the oven for 5-7 minutes or until nice and warm, but not crunchy.
- Add half the meat to the pan and season with a bit of salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes until it is cooked through. Set aside.
- Heat a bit more oil if needed and cook the other half of the meat, seasoning with salt and pepper. Return the first batch of meat to the pan, stir in veggies if yo wish, and top with cheese. Use 8 pepper jack cheese slices for a spicy version, or 8 white American cheese slices for a classic version. Place the cheese over the meat and when it starts to melt, stir the cheese into the meat and veggie mixture.
- Divide the meat among the 4 hoagie rolls.
- If using chipotle mayo, combine all ingredients in a blender (mayo, chipotle pepper, chipotle sauce, lime juice, salt and pepper) and slather desired amount on each roll. Otherwise spread a thin layer of regular mayo on the roll.
- Cut in half and serve immediately.